>> Our 360 Cameras Comparison <<

Latest Posts

FluidCast VR Opening Texas-Based Virtual Reality Studio
Views: 69   replies: 1
Last Reply: Thomasminue (Yesterday, 09:44 PM)
Огромный выбор окрасочного оборудования камнерезных станков компрессоров...
Insta360 air issues and bugs
Views: 72   replies: 1
Last Reply: Vance (Yesterday, 04:42 PM)
I just got mine today, March 27, 2017 with the mini-usb connector.  It is not long enough if you have a case on your phone.  I had to modify my case with a Dremel tool (grinding tool) to provide more clearance for the camera ball to s...
Online platform for editing 360 images
Views: 95   replies: 1
Last Reply: lunadude (Mar 25 2017 03:03 AM)
CES 2017—Best animated virtual reality music video!
Views: 76   replies: 1
Last Reply: lunadude (Mar 25 2017 02:58 AM)
Hmm, interesting. Was this a video of an interactive piece?https://youtu.be/yZOdelqXp2I
Ricoh Theta SC remote shutter
Views: 44   replies: 0
Last Reply: sansun (Mar 23 2017 12:32 PM)
эксплуатация транспортно технологических машин...

Recent Topics

Samsung Gear 360 overheating

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zizu_*

Guest_zizu_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Do you have any idea what to do to decrease overheating of gear 360? or what to do to avoid it?

#2 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

I got my Gear 360 and it started overheating after 15 minutes of video recording.  With Gopros overheating, i've read that faster microsd cards help. I'll have to try and see if that works for me. I tried removing the battery and tried powering via usb, but the camera doesn't seem to power on without a battery.

#3 Guest_Valera_*

Guest_Valera_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:04 PM

I tested it at home, not on sun, on place with cool wind. about 35 minutes and it stopped to record 360 video with overheating message on camera's lid. SD card is PNY 128gb (as you guess xdhc class 1, with 80mb/s ability to write, tested).
Yea, we can hope that samsung will improve this with firmware, but looks like camera do too much hard work - accepting 2 streams in 60fps and split them on memory, them record on SD... Crossing fingers for it's future ;-)

#4 Guest_Max_*

Guest_Max_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

I am using ta sandisk extreme plus 128. I have not (yet) had any issues with overheating. I have recorded for over 1hour of video without issue. Not tried with 60fps yet. Will report back, when I have.

m

#5 Guest_Flashback360_*

Guest_Flashback360_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

This is a big issue for me also, and has caused me to miss some crucial shots! I use a SanDisk Ultra 64GB. Generally happens in hot rooms with little ventilation. Taking the battery out cools it faster. Anyone else got any strategies to help cool it? May have to resort to using 2 cameras  :mellow:

#6 Guest_Max_*

Guest_Max_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

I did a test. 360 Dual camera @ 60fps, using s7.  Inside with no ventilation, 24 degrees C.  The 360 overheated after 39 minutes.

#7 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:23 PM

Overheating here,too SanDisk 128 Gb inside 24 degrees, 45 Minutes - disappointed!

#8 markr041

markr041

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:58 PM

Ok, folks. Let's get real. Nobody is going to watch a video that is one 40 minute take. Nobody. And did you know that $5,000+ DSLRs used by pros for video have 29 minute limits for video clips? Some pro-grade cameras have 15 minute or even 5 minute limits for clips in 4K.

And, if you are serious about 360 video, forget shooting at less than the highest resolution to get a 3840x1920 video. So, you will not, and should not, be shooting 60p with this device If you want 60p, get an action cam. There is only one purpose for the SG - 360 stills and video, and for the latter anything less than the highest resolution looks awful.

The camera does overheat, but plan how you are going to use it. Switching batteries is a fix, and shooting short clips is too, and good video practice. If you want to shoot a long lecture in 360 in almost-4K, you can use an external battery connected by usb - that will result in much less internal heating and gives you a long run time since the battery capacity can be bigger.

[Btw, the GoPro Hero 4 Black has a severe overheating problem in 4K. The Kodak 360 4K also will overheat. This is a standard problem shooting 4K (or almost 4K) video using a tiny camera.]

#9 Guest_Not Happy 360 owner_*

Guest_Not Happy 360 owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

I can only record 3 minutes and my gear 360 stops with overeating message. This camera have to much limitations, first is the software only for s7 edge and now that I buy an s7 edge it stops recording after 3 or 2 minutes bhaaa.

#10 Guest_markr041_*

Guest_markr041_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

I can only record 3 minutes and my gear 360 stops with overeating message. This camera have to much limitations, first is the software only for s7 edge and now that I buy an s7 edge it stops recording after 3 or 2 minutes bhaaa.

Then you have a defective camera. That, if true, is not normal. and not what anyone else is reporting. Or are you shooting in a sauna? :)

#11 Guest_Deksam_*

Guest_Deksam_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Not true, my camera sometimes gets 8 minutes.. most of the time it gets 4 minutes. It's unreliable at best. It isn't that you're using it to show a video of an hour lecture that nobody will watch it's that when youre doing something that uses the full 360 range it's because you never know what to expect.

I usually record a couple hours for my events ..watch and cut and create a 4 - 10 minute video of highlights. This camera makes it tough to gauge what I'm catching... You have to micromanage and it can kill the activity.

#12 Guest_Francisco Requena_*

Guest_Francisco Requena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

I have a Gear 360 and the same problem with overheating in about 20 minutes. I read the comments above about that recording long HQ video is even not available in professional equipments. 

My idea with the camera was to record school classes that normally are one hour long and it is not possible because you are giving the lesson, the equipment stops, then you stop to take out the battery and blow for a couple of minutes or repalace the battery or ... Summarising: it doesn't work.

Anyway, should be nice if Samsung is able to do something to have the limit of the memory card as the total limit of recording .

#13 Guest_Niche360_*

Guest_Niche360_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

I was filming a concert today and it just died after 7 minutes. Extremely frustrating as I couldn't just go on stage to turn it back on. I gathered perhaps it heated up more because I was live viewing on S7 but realistically I couldn't not when filming an event. Anyway, lucky it wasn't a paid job.....

#14 maskedweasel

maskedweasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

Mine overheated frequently,  probably still will overheat quite a bit. I can get anywhere from 4 minutes to 12 minutes, I've never gotten more than that.

When I'm out creating videos, I have to explain to the interviewees or people I stop and talk to that we need to work in short concise time pockets,  4 minutes generally, or if the camera has been off for more than 15 or 20 minutes I'll give them 8.  

Really sad this is such a big issue,  but it happens. 

#15 firejames

firejames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

I pretty much use my Gear 360 for 360 photos now with the timer. It looks like the Nikon Keymission does better with overheating and the video quality is better.  

#16 Figmentno9

Figmentno9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

The only way I've found around this issue is to use it plugged in for long sessions. I recorded 2 hours the other night while it was plugged in. Could have kept going but I shut it off. It really is an inconvenience but, it is what it is.I haven't tested it with an external battery yet but I'm assuming it will have the same results. Maybe samsung should have designed this with the battery a little further away from the mechanics. The first company to design a barrier between the battery and the rest of the camera will rule.
Done inside with a room temp of 71°
*update. Just went 2 and a half hours. I decided to open the 360 app on my phone and it turned off when I exited the app. I turned off the camera and turned it back on and started recording again. If I get 3 to 5 hours continuously I'll let you know. I'm in bands that would like to record 2, hour and a half sets a night.
It also splits it up in 11:28 segments? Ugh

#17 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

It also splits it up in 11:28 segments?

Are you recording to SD card?
If so, is that SD card formatted as FAT32 or exFAT?
FAT filesystems cannot handle files larger than 4GB so perhaps that's the reason your video is split into multiple files?

#18 Figmentno9

Figmentno9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

Yes, recording ti sd card. I'll have to look at the format. I used the camera to format the drive. It's a sandisk ultra plus 128gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users