>> Our 360 Cameras Comparison <<

Latest Posts

LG360 with cardboard vr file type.
Views: 6   replies: 0
Last Reply: Matt (Today, 05:49 PM)
Ive had the lg360 cam for a while and just bought a vr headset for my android. However I have tried uploading the 360 video files onto the phone and for some reason they will not play. Is there a way around this? Do they have to be in a special...
Sound but no image
Views: 306   replies: 2
Last Reply: kosa (Today, 07:54 AM)
How many Watts does your power supply have?
Luuv stabilizer for 360 video
Views: 666   replies: 5
Last Reply: kosa (Today, 07:50 AM)
Is 349 Euro not too expensive?
Software update R10510 I (07/2016)
Views: 2,011   replies: 7
Last Reply: Francisco Martínez (Feb 19 2017 11:51 PM)
I updated the firmware of the LG 360 camera on February 22, 2017 and since the update (R10510K) when zooming from the mo...
New software update R10510 H
Views: 571   replies: 4
Last Reply: Francisco Martínez (Feb 19 2017 11:50 PM)
I updated the firmware of the LG 360 camera on February 22, 2017 and since the update (R10510K) when zooming from the mo...

Recent Topics

Photo

Gear 360 geotagging problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

I've had my Gear 360 over 2 months now.

It has the latest firmware and works well with my S7.

Recently however it has started to geotag my panorama images with incorrect GPS locations.

For example a day ago i visted a nature reserve and took 20 panorama images.

My S7 stitched the images and i copied them from my S7 to my desktop PC.

The first 15 images taken were all geotagged with a location close to my house address - that's 20 miles away from the nature reserve!

The remaining 5 images were correctly geotagged.

My Gear 360 always used to accurately geotag all images - it's only in the past 2 or 3 weeks that it's started to use incorrect GPS locations.

No changes have been made to my S7 or Gear 360 since the GPS problem appeared - it always worked perfectly and now doesn't :( .

On this visit to the nature reserve i looked at the geotag location on the very first image i took and noticed it was incorrect.

I used the android app 'GPS Status' to reset any cached GPS locations on my S7 and then downloaded fresh A-GPS data.

In theory after using GPS Status my S7 should have had no locations in it's cache and so should not have been able to geotag future images with the cached location near my house address.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

#2 360VideoAustralia

360VideoAustralia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

It is not the Gear 360 that geotags ... it is your phone... The Gear 360 just takes the photos... your phone does all the processing.

Geotagging (and stitching) only seems to occur when you save the photo - not when you take it.  So if you don't save it until you are back at home it will geotag at your current location - not where the photo was actually taken.

#3 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

Yes the geotagging uses a GPS fix from the mobile.

I'm certain that the geotagging of an image occurs when the image is taken and not when the dual fisheye image is converted to an equirectangular image in Gear Manager.

If you take an image with a Gear 360, then copy the dual fisheye image from the Gear 360 SD card to your computer and examine the EXIF data i think you will see that the dual fisheye contains the geotag.

The mobile must ensure that the camera always knows the mobile's most recent GPS location and this is where my problem is.

The camera will use the last known mobile GPS location for a geotag - if that GPS location is stale it will still be used.

I need a way to force my S7 to send my Gear 360 a fresh and accurate GPS location.

#4 markr041

markr041

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:04 PM

Yes the geotagging uses a GPS fix from the mobile.

I'm certain that the geotagging of an image occurs when the image is taken and not when the dual fisheye image is converted to an equirectangular image in Gear Manager.

If you take an image with a Gear 360, then copy the dual fisheye image from the Gear 360 SD card to your computer and examine the EXIF data i think you will see that the dual fisheye contains the geotag.

The mobile must ensure that the camera always knows the mobile's most recent GPS location and this is where my problem is.

The camera will use the last known mobile GPS location for a geotag - if that GPS location is stale it will still be used.

I need a way to force my S7 to send my Gear 360 a fresh and accurate GPS location.

I have the S7 and the Gear 360, and am a Google "Local Guide" using the geotagging a lot. I have not had the problem you describe. But one way to make sure you don't go home with the wrong coordinates is to use Google maps (or any maps program) on site and check if your phone has you in the right place.

#5 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

But one way to make sure you don't go home with the wrong coordinates is to use Google maps (or any maps program) on site and check if your phone has you in the right place.

I have tried that many times.

Google Maps instantly gets a GPS fix and zooms to my current location.

The problem is not that my S7 fails to get a GPS fix but that the Gear Manager does not send that GPS fix to the Gear 360.

Looking at the Open Spherical Camera API documentation for gpsInfo i read:

When provided by a phone, please note that each GPS location is valid only until the next update from the phone. The phone must determine when to update the GPS location; for example, right before each takePicture command.

Assuming that the protocol used by Gear Manager follows the same logic as the OSC API, it seems to me that my S7 isn't determining when to update the GPS location on my Gear 360.

#6 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hi, well I get my 2 cameras now is almost 1 month and have last firmware updates and my problem is that when I use Location GPS for images and for instance if I take image every 10 meters 10 times (100meters) I will get for all images same (take first and assigned to others) GPS coordinates. I have Samsung S6 Edge and I try this also with Samsung S7 Edge and problem is the same. Also when I use Street View mode with Street View App I can not take any 360 image...when I click on button (blue camera icon) to record it it just get in loop like taking and after I get error like unable to capture...also what is interesting that camera 99% get freezed when I use this mode :(

#7 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I'm just back from a trip where i took 14 images with my Gear 360 and the geotagged locations of these images is very disappointing.
Note that before turning on my Gear 360 i went into my S7 settings and set the GPS mode to 'GPS only, no network location'.
I also used GPS Status (android app) to download fresh A-GPS data.

The first image taken is correctly geotagged.
The next seven images taken are all geotagged with the location of the first image.
So i have 8 images with the same geotagged location.

The next image to be taken is correctly geotagged.

The next image to be taken is correctly geotagged, but then the last 4 images taken share this same location.

So i took 14 images, 3 are correctly geotagged and 11 are geotagged with a 'stale' location.
I took these images over a 50 minute period - a walk along a riverbank with clear blue skies in every direction.
I turned my Gear 360 off 2 or 3 times and wonder whether my Gear 360 is only getting a GPS location from my S7 when the Gear 360 first starts.

'GPS Status' and 'Maps' (android apps) both show my S7 is maintaining an accurate GPS fix while it is failing to supply my Gear 360 with new location updates.

#8 Guest_Jhon_*

Guest_Jhon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

I think that you describe exactly problem that I have too

I'm just back from a trip where i took 14 images with my Gear 360 and the geotagged locations of these images is very disappointing.
Note that before turning on my Gear 360 i went into my S7 settings and set the GPS mode to 'GPS only, no network location'.
I also used GPS Status (android app) to download fresh A-GPS data.

The first image taken is correctly geotagged.
The next seven images taken are all geotagged with the location of the first image.
So i have 8 images with the same geotagged location.

The next image to be taken is correctly geotagged.

The next image to be taken is correctly geotagged, but then the last 4 images taken share this same location.

So i took 14 images, 3 are correctly geotagged and 11 are geotagged with a 'stale' location.
I took these images over a 50 minute period - a walk along a riverbank with clear blue skies in every direction.
I turned my Gear 360 off 2 or 3 times and wonder whether my Gear 360 is only getting a GPS location from my S7 when the Gear 360 first starts.

'GPS Status' and 'Maps' (android apps) both show my S7 is maintaining an accurate GPS fix while it is failing to supply my Gear 360 with new location updates.

#9 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

I'll make time over the next couple of days to take a number of shots using StreetView mode on my Gear 360, and see if the StreetView app updates the GPS location on my Gear 360 more fequently than Gear Manager app.

#10 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

My problem is that I can not take any image with Street View App...get everytime error like "Unable to capture..."

I'll make time over the next couple of days to take a number of shots using StreetView mode on my Gear 360, and see if the StreetView app updates the GPS location on my Gear 360 more fequently than Gear Manager app.

#11 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

Well i'm just back from a short drive, where my mate took some panorama images with my Gear 360 using StreetView mode as i drove.

gear360_streetview_app_geotagging.jpg

See how every one of the seven panorama images has been accurately geotagged?

The android StreetView app has successfully kept the Gear 360 up to date with GPS fixes.

The Samsung Gear Manager seems to no longer be able to do this.

#12 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hi, well this looks great, I have problem that when I use Google Street View App that camera freeze and when I want to take image get error unable to capture :(

Well i'm just back from a short drive, where my mate took some panorama images with my Gear 360 using StreetView mode as i drove.

attachicon.gifgear360_streetview_app_geotagging.jpg

See how every one of the seven panorama images has been accurately geotagged?

The android StreetView app has successfully kept the Gear 360 up to date with GPS fixes.

The Samsung Gear Manager seems to no longer be able to do this.

#13 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

https://resources.sa....1.0_160510.pdf

There are ways to reset the Gear 360 - search the above PDF for 'reset'.

Maybe a reset will fix your problem?

#14 Guest_Jonathon_*

Guest_Jonathon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Yup, I have the same problem. I am using Android Gear 360 Manager version 1.0.10 and Firmware C200GLU0API1 on the Gear 360. My photos captured via Gear 360 Manager while walking all have the same nearby GPS location. I then tried walking the same route using Google Streetview to automatically capture images every 10 seconds or so and the GPS locations were all correct, i.e. I could track my location when viewing the 30 images afterwards in GeoSetter and the Map module in Lightroom. I then retraced the route capturing images in with Gear 360 manager and also checking on my location on Google maps. Google maps showed the correct location during the walk, while all 50 of the images captured (i.e. unstitched showing two circles) show the same nearby location. 

There appears to be a bug with the Gear 360 manager. 

#15 warwound

warwound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

There is (i think) a bug in the Gear 360 firmware.
The bug prevents an android app (on your mobile) from correctly setting a GPS location on the Gear 360 when using the 'open spherical camera' interface:
http://developer.sam...opCtgy=03#post3

The StreetView app uses the open spherical camera interface so how come the StreetView app can set a GPS location on the Gear 360 but other developers find that they are unable to do so?
Maybe the StreetView app devs found a workaround?
This bug has not been fixed in the Gear 360 firmware update released just a week or so back.

Another firmware bug is reported here:
http://developer.sam...&startId=zzzzz~

Bugs like these imply Samsung never properly tested the open spherical camera interface in their firmware!

#16 iwatkins

iwatkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

Confirmed. Tried this myself yesterday by walking along a track and back.

Half the photos have the correct GPS coords from where I switched it all on, at the beginning of the track.

When I turned around, I switched phone and camera off and back on. These half of the photos again had the correct coords but for where I turned around.

So basically it looks as though the app on the phone either isn't getting updated GPS coords to pass in the shoot request to the camera or it is but simply isn't passing the updated coords.

Kind of defeats the point of geotagging.

Street view however works perfectly.

S7 and Gear360 all with latest software and firmware.

Cheers

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users