360° Cameras and Videos Forums
Guest zizu

Samsung Gear 360 overheating

Guest zizu   
Guest zizu

Do you have any idea what to do to decrease overheating of gear 360? or what to do to avoid it?

Guest James   
Guest James

I got my Gear 360 and it started overheating after 15 minutes of video recording.  With Gopros overheating, i've read that faster microsd cards help. I'll have to try and see if that works for me. I tried removing the battery and tried powering via usb, but the camera doesn't seem to power on without a battery.

Guest Max   
Guest Max

I am using ta sandisk extreme plus 128. I have not (yet) had any issues with overheating. I have recorded for over 1hour of video without issue. Not tried with 60fps yet. Will report back, when I have.

m

Guest Flashback360   
Guest Flashback360

This is a big issue for me also, and has caused me to miss some crucial shots! I use a SanDisk Ultra 64GB. Generally happens in hot rooms with little ventilation. Taking the battery out cools it faster. Anyone else got any strategies to help cool it? May have to resort to using 2 cameras  :mellow:

Guest Max   
Guest Max

I did a test. 360 Dual camera @ 60fps, using s7.  Inside with no ventilation, 24 degrees C.  The 360 overheated after 39 minutes.

Ok, folks. Let's get real. Nobody is going to watch a video that is one 40 minute take. Nobody. And did you know that $5,000+ DSLRs used by pros for video have 29 minute limits for video clips? Some pro-grade cameras have 15 minute or even 5 minute limits for clips in 4K.

And, if you are serious about 360 video, forget shooting at less than the highest resolution to get a 3840x1920 video. So, you will not, and should not, be shooting 60p with this device If you want 60p, get an action cam. There is only one purpose for the SG - 360 stills and video, and for the latter anything less than the highest resolution looks awful.

The camera does overheat, but plan how you are going to use it. Switching batteries is a fix, and shooting short clips is too, and good video practice. If you want to shoot a long lecture in 360 in almost-4K, you can use an external battery connected by usb - that will result in much less internal heating and gives you a long run time since the battery capacity can be bigger.

[btw, the GoPro Hero 4 Black has a severe overheating problem in 4K. The Kodak 360 4K also will overheat. This is a standard problem shooting 4K (or almost 4K) video using a tiny camera.]

Guest Not Happy 360 owner   
Guest Not Happy 360 owner

I can only record 3 minutes and my gear 360 stops with overeating message. This camera have to much limitations, first is the software only for s7 edge and now that I buy an s7 edge it stops recording after 3 or 2 minutes bhaaa.

Guest markr041   
Guest markr041

I can only record 3 minutes and my gear 360 stops with overeating message. This camera have to much limitations, first is the software only for s7 edge and now that I buy an s7 edge it stops recording after 3 or 2 minutes bhaaa.

Then you have a defective camera. That, if true, is not normal. and not what anyone else is reporting. Or are you shooting in a sauna? :)

Guest Deksam   
Guest Deksam

Not true, my camera sometimes gets 8 minutes.. most of the time it gets 4 minutes. It's unreliable at best. It isn't that you're using it to show a video of an hour lecture that nobody will watch it's that when youre doing something that uses the full 360 range it's because you never know what to expect.

I usually record a couple hours for my events ..watch and cut and create a 4 - 10 minute video of highlights. This camera makes it tough to gauge what I'm catching... You have to micromanage and it can kill the activity.

Guest Francisco Requena   
Guest Francisco Requena

I have a Gear 360 and the same problem with overheating in about 20 minutes. I read the comments above about that recording long HQ video is even not available in professional equipments. 

My idea with the camera was to record school classes that normally are one hour long and it is not possible because you are giving the lesson, the equipment stops, then you stop to take out the battery and blow for a couple of minutes or repalace the battery or ... Summarising: it doesn't work.

Anyway, should be nice if Samsung is able to do something to have the limit of the memory card as the total limit of recording .

Guest Niche360   
Guest Niche360

I was filming a concert today and it just died after 7 minutes. Extremely frustrating as I couldn't just go on stage to turn it back on. I gathered perhaps it heated up more because I was live viewing on S7 but realistically I couldn't not when filming an event. Anyway, lucky it wasn't a paid job.....

Mine overheated frequently,  probably still will overheat quite a bit. I can get anywhere from 4 minutes to 12 minutes, I've never gotten more than that.

When I'm out creating videos, I have to explain to the interviewees or people I stop and talk to that we need to work in short concise time pockets,  4 minutes generally, or if the camera has been off for more than 15 or 20 minutes I'll give them 8.  

Really sad this is such a big issue,  but it happens. 

The only way I've found around this issue is to use it plugged in for long sessions. I recorded 2 hours the other night while it was plugged in. Could have kept going but I shut it off. It really is an inconvenience but, it is what it is.I haven't tested it with an external battery yet but I'm assuming it will have the same results. Maybe samsung should have designed this with the battery a little further away from the mechanics. The first company to design a barrier between the battery and the rest of the camera will rule.

Done inside with a room temp of 71°

*update. Just went 2 and a half hours. I decided to open the 360 app on my phone and it turned off when I exited the app. I turned off the camera and turned it back on and started recording again. If I get 3 to 5 hours continuously I'll let you know. I'm in bands that would like to record 2, hour and a half sets a night.

It also splits it up in 11:28 segments? Ugh

It also splits it up in 11:28 segments?

Are you recording to SD card?

If so, is that SD card formatted as FAT32 or exFAT?

FAT filesystems cannot handle files larger than 4GB so perhaps that's the reason your video is split into multiple files?