360° Cameras and Videos Forums
Stephen Hermer

New member, purchasing a camera in the next week

Hi All,

I'm in small-town Canada (so it is impossible to see 360 cameras in stores) and am going to Haiti in less than a month... and I plan to bring a 360 camera to support my normal photography. I have been doing a lot of research and need to decide in the next week which camera to get, so it will not be long before I have one.

Hi Stephen! Welcome to 360CamerasForums! If money is no object, the best image quality 360 camera for photos is the Panono, in my opinion. However it is pricey and requires cloud access to stitch.

For more ordinary use, I think the best 360 camera for photos is the ricoh theta s. It has a little more detail than the Gear 360 and most importantly has full exposure controls, missing on the Gear 360 and LG 360 Cam.

I highly recommend a tripod/monopod/selfie stick such as monoshot.co.

Have a safe trip and I hope to see your photos!

Best regards,

Mic

Hi Stephen! Welcome to 360CamerasForums! If money is no object, the best image quality 360 camera for photos is the Panono, in my opinion. However it is pricey and requires cloud access to stitch.

For more ordinary use, I think the best 360 camera for photos is the ricoh theta s. It has a little more detail than the Gear 360 and most importantly has full exposure controls, missing on the Gear 360 and LG 360 Cam.

I highly recommend a tripod/monopod/selfie stick such as monoshot.co.

Have a safe trip and I hope to see your photos!

Best regards,

Mic

This does not sound right - the Gear 360 has much higher resolution than the Theta S - 7776x 3888 versus 5376x2688. I have both and I clearly see the resolution advantage for the Gear 360.  You can control exposure on the Gear 360; for the Theta S you can also control shutter speed and ISO (but not aperture). The Theta S has really conspicuous purple fringing; the Gear 360 will sometimes produce different coloration across the two views. Overall I prefer the Gear 360 stills, by a lot.

Hi Mark. I'm glad you like the Gear 360 even for photos! The Gear 360 does have higher nominal resolution but when I compare the images, my Theta S actually has more detail, except at the edges (Gear 360 has better edge to edge sharpness). True, the Theta has bad fringing but on the other hand, Gear 360 is very susceptible to flare. For me, fixing fringing is easier than flare. Theta also has much better stitching (in addition the Gear 360 sometimes has different colors between its lenses).

True, you can't control aperture on the Theta but that's true for all 360 cameras so far due to a fixed aperture. On the Gear 360 you can't even fix the ISO - you can only set the auto ISO limit.

Then of course the Gear 360 has inconsistent sharpness.

For these reasons, I prefer the Theta for photos. But anyway, this is just my opinion.

Best regards,

Mic