360° Cameras and Videos Forums
aerosign

Turn on/off the camera remotely?

aerosign    0
    aerosign

Hey,

I like the Gear 360 but one missing feature forced me to return it. The camera has to be turned on on the cam itself in order for the phone connect and operate it, I am strapped in a plane not able to reach it when I want to record. Turning it on from the start of the flight will drain the battery too quickly even when not recording. 

I wish Samsung had implemented it like GoPro. GoPro can be put in a sleep state so it only needs to power wifi. 

Am I the only one missing this feature?

Guest markr041   
    Guest markr041

Hey,

I like the Gear 360 but one missing feature forced me to return it. The camera has to be turned on on the cam itself in order for the phone connect and operate it, I am strapped in a plane not able to reach it when I want to record. Turning it on from the start of the flight will drain the battery too quickly even when not recording. 

I wish Samsung had implemented it like GoPro. GoPro can be put in a sleep state so it only needs to power wifi. 

Am I the only one missing this feature?

You can power the Gear externally (connecting a big battery by usb) so there is enough time for the flight. This will also keep the camera cooler.

aerosign    0
    aerosign

You can power the Gear externally (connecting a big battery by usb) so there is enough time for the flight. This will also keep the camera cooler.

Sure that is a possibility! But having it mounted outside of an airplane (or car) will be a pain if not using the internal battery. 

aerosign    0
    aerosign

Well it seems Samsung has a remote available. 

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/cameras/accessories/point-and-shoot-camera-accessories/ET-YC200BBEGWW

If anyone knows about it, I'd love to hear if it is able to turn on/off the camera...

Guest Walk North   
    Guest Walk North

Hi, for a remote to turn a camera on, the camera can't be off just asleep, monitoring the input. This consumes battery. It would have be a separate setting - sleep, but waiting. The 360 is a small, simple camera.

Using an exterior battery pack or running a wire for power from the cockpit probably the best solution. 

Guest Walk North   
    Guest Walk North

Hi, for a remote to turn a camera on, the camera can't be off just asleep, monitoring the input. This consumes battery. It would have be a separate setting - sleep, but waiting. The 360 is a small, simple camera.

Using an exterior battery pack or running a wire for power from the cockpit probably the best solution. 

aerosign    0
    aerosign

I don't disagree, I have a GoPro and it does exactly that. It stays in sleep mode only keeping wifi alive for a connection request. The Gear 360 has everything turned on - even the display. It gets really hot even if you just let it sit there waiting for the user to start recording.... so power is spend waiting.

I am just puzzled by Samsung's decision on this. The accessory pack I just linked to has mounting brackets very close to GoPro. So clearly they want to be a 360 action cam. But without this feature they miss a lot of potential buyers (I think).

Anyway,, thank you for your comments - I don't intent to complain...