360° Cameras and Videos Forums
Guest SMichelsen

write protected micro SD card?

Guest SMichelsen   
Guest SMichelsen

A friend of mine has a gear VR camera but has all Apple devices, so can't yet do anything with the images.  He sent me a test photo and asked me to run it through my camera to generate a flat jpg.  I tried to move the file to my camera via USB but found that the card is write protected!  I assume that the camera is simply not allowing files to be copied to the card (while it's in the camera, at least).

I have yet to try taking the card out, putting it into an adaptor and moving a file to the card in my PC.

Is there a way to turn off the write protection while the card sits in the camera?

Will it still be write protected outside of the camera?

Thanks for your input.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

OK I got his files and put them onto my microSD card via a card adaptor in my PC.

I renamed the files to be sequential with my own.

The app was VERY fussy about dealing with these files.  They would often show up as grey rectangles.  I managed to get the job done after several disconnect-reconnect cycles. 

Why should the camera not "like" shots created in another identical camera?

FWIW here's how my Mac-based friend deals with his Samsung Gear 360...  it's in an attached text file because I cannot paste anything here (?!)

It's not a big secret that the Gear 360 and Apple equipment don't play well yet, so why did he bought the camera if he doesn't understand the camera can be triggered manually? I think you and your friend have to do a some RTFM.